Friday, October 11, 2013

A Survivor's Story

Today we have a very special guest post from a member of Dr. Max's family. Here is his mother-in-law's story about surviving breast cancer and how she has turned her experience into helping others.

My Story
Very few people will go through life without being faced with life altering situations.  Until one is faced with cancer as a caregiver or as having the disease themselves they really can't even begin to imagine how life changing it is.   Cancer has taken me to a different level of appreciation for life. I lost my Dad to cancer in 1998.  I watched him suffer an unbearable sickness.  There was absolutely nothing I could do and it was very frustrating. So, you can imagine my fear in 2004 when I myself heard those words 
"you have cancer".  
I was filled with anger and devastation.  I had only seen through the eyes of being the person watching, caring for and loving the cancer patient.  Now, I was the patient.  I can tell you that cancer treatment is bad enough just from watching what it does to a loved one, but I can also tell you first hand from being the person undergoing that treatment, it is barbaric.  Your lows couldn't get any lower.  You think you couldn't get any sicker, but you can.  Just when you are feeling human again, its time for another treatment.  
I have made a commitment to myself to make the life I live a better one through appreciating every day that God has given me and using that day to make a difference in the lives around me.  One of those commitments I have made is to help raise money with my friend Ann for cancer research. For the last 5 years, we have co-coordinated the BUFFALO STAMPEDE AGAINST CANCER raising money for finding a cure. Thanks to people like you who take the time to support breast cancer research to help find a cure, together, we CAN make a difference.  
Early detection can save lives. 
  Get your mammograms, don't put off to tomorrow what could save your life today.  
Today is the best day of my life ever……..

Barbara Davis, 9 year Breast Cancer Survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment