Not sure about your household but we are short on time most days so here is our Lazy Cabbage Roll Recipe (No Rolls Required). We will skip the rolling to save time and also use the slow cooker to help all the ingredients soak up more flavor, but I have also made this dish on the stove top if I am in a pinch. So here we go...
Lazy Weeknight Cabbage Rolls
1/2 cup rice (brown)
1/2 head of cauliflower (roasted)
1 head of cabbage (roasted)
1lb ground meat (We use Turkey)
1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 medium onion (chopped)
1Tbsp Herb seasoning (Mrs. Dash)
Salt & Pepper
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp Cane or Brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp sea salt
Combine your Sauce ingredients in blender and blend until desired smoothness. (I like mine a little chuncky)
Roasting Veggies Steps:
1. First you will roast your veggies. (If you don't want to do this you are welcome to boil them instead). Preheat oven to 400 F and lightly oil a sheet pan (I use olive oil). Slice cabbage into 1/2 inch thick wedges and cauliflower into flat pieces or florets.
2. Arrange cabbage and cauliflower on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper if desired.
3. Place pan in the oven for 15-20 minutes until all veggies have a nice roast
4. Once cauliflower is roasted chop finely and add the filling mixture below.
The Rest of the Filling Steps:
5. While veggies are roasting combine your meat, can of diced tomatoes, chopped onion, brown rice and seasoning in a large bowl.
Slow Cooker Prep:
6. Place 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of your Slow Cooker.
7. Layer roasted cabbage on top of sauce layer.
8. Cover roasted cabbage with meat mixture.
9. Repeat layering sauce, cabbage and meat. Last layer should be remaining sauce and a 1/2 cup of water or stock.
10. Secure lid on Slow Cooker. Select Low Heat for 6 hours.